Why adopting construction software is a must

Why adopting construction software is a must


The construction industry is notorious for falling behind, especially when adapting to new technologies. Construction management software, like Bridgit Field, is designed to simplify the construction process for all parties involved. Having everything in one place presents an equal opportunity for accountability and efficiency across the board.

In late 2017, KPMG conducted a global construction survey. The results demonstrate that as a whole, stakeholders in the construction industry are slow to adopt new technology onsite. Only 5% of survey respondents believed they had an open mind to technological advancements in construction. In contrast, less than 50% revealed that there was a plan in place to integrate construction project management software advancements into their day-to-day.

That same year, Forbes also released survey results showing that 8.4% of enterprise software errors are system-related, while the remaining 91.6% are related to the user, design, or process. It’s difficult to determine the root cause of construction software adoption failure, but some factors include job complexity, poorly designed apps, and lack of training.

How do you know if you’ve picked the right software?

In all cases, there is an investment of time and money in construction software research, selection, and implementation. According to Forbes, there are a few clear signs that present themselves when employees aren’t taking kindly to new software:

  • Lowered user productivity

  • Slower, more complex processes

  • Heightened employee turnover

  • Frequent troubleshooting  

  • Increased training time

  • Sub-par onboarding

Not all construction software adoptions are an uphill battle. In fact, ARCO Construction experienced an 80% field app participation rate from subcontractors.

That [participation rate] instantly told us that the software is easy enough that a field person will use it and can use it,” he added. “The feedback from the field staff was: ‘Yup, this is it. We’ve tried all these other ones. This is it.’ Then it spread to two or three other projects almost immediately.
— Kyle Darnell, Divisional Manager of Senior Living and Multi-Family Group at ARCO Construction

Read more about how Kyle and his team maximized field adoption here.

Keep in mind that ARCO is a bit of an outlier with its participation rates. Getting your construction software choice adopted by 80% of your onsite team won’t be easy.

We’ve created an ebook on how to increase your rates of construction software adoption. To learn more about how it can help your team at all stages of a job, download now.



Lauren Lake

Lauren Lake is the COO and co-founder at Bridgit. She holds a degree in Civil Structural Engineering and is well-versed in construction workforce management and resource planning processes. Lauren has been named to the Forbes Manufacturing & Industry 30 Under 30 and Best Of Canada Forbes Under 30 Innovators lists. Lauren has presented at industry events and conferences, including BuiltWorlds, Canadian Construction Association, Procore Groundbreak, and more. Follow Lauren on LinkedIn and Instagram.


See Bridgit apps in action

Let us give you a free spin of our construction apps.