In America’s massive and highly competitive construction industry, a few general contractors have managed to rise to the top. Keep reading as we explore the 50 largest general contractors in the U.S., according to data from Engineering News Record.
50 Largest general contractors in the U.S.
|Company||Annual revenue (USD unless otherwise noted)|
|The DOW Chemical Company||$43,000,000,000|
|Gilbane Building Company||$6,206,600,000|
|Clark Construction Group||$6,058,500,000|
|The Walsh Group Ltd.||$4,959,500,000|
|Balfour Beatty Construction||$4,896,700,000|
|McCarthy Building Companies||$4,586,700,000|
|JE Dunn Construction Co.||$4,256,400,000|
|Brasfield & Gorrie||$3,802,800,000|
|Suffolk Construction Company||$3,667,300,000|
|W.G Yates Construction||$2,758,200,000|
|ARCO Construction Company, Inc.||$2,253,600,000|
|Hoffman Construction Company||$2,153,000,000|
|Hathaway Dinwiddie Construction Company||$2,041,000,000|
|The Sundt Companies Inc||$1,730,900,000|
|Shawmut Design & Construction||$1,483,600,000|
|Harvey Cleary Builders||$1,397,000,000|
|J.T. Magen & Company||$1,379,300,000|
|Clune Construction Co.||$1,327,000,000|
|Okland Construction Company Inc||$1,319,800,000|
|The McShane Cos.||$1,302,700,000|
|The Conlan Company||$1,263,600,000|
A closer look at the 10 largest general contractors in the U.S.
Now that you’ve seen the full list, let’s take a closer look at the 10 largest companies on it.
1. The DOW Chemical Company
With annual revenues exceeding $43 billion, The DOW Chemical Company is nothing short of a behemoth. In fact, its revenue nearly triples that of the second-largest firm on this list.
The DOW Chemical Company’s provenance is as impressive as its balance sheet; the company has been in business since 1897. It’s among the three biggest chemical companies on earth, employing more than 54,000 people according to a recent SEC filing.
The DOW Chemical Company’s awards include:
- recognition on the 2020 Dow Jones Sustainability World Index
- five R&D 100 awards
- four 2020 Edison Awards for Breakthrough Technologies
2. Turner Construction
Turner Construction is a global general contracting firm that completes $12 billion worth of construction projects annually and employs 10,000 workers.
It provides general contracting services in a variety of sectors, including:
- data center
AECOM is a multinational general contracting company headquartered in Los Angeles. Its services include:
- architectural design
- construction project management
- environmental contracting
- infrastructure planning
AECOM’s annual revenue topped $9.8 billion according to Engineering News-Record’s latest data. The company’s awards include:
- a 100% rating on the Corporate Equality Index / Best Places to Work for LGBT Equality (presented by the Human Rights Campaign Foundation)
- World’s Most Admired Companies (presented by Fortune Magazine)
- Top 100 Military Spouse Friendly Employers (presented by G.I. Jobs Magazine)
4. The Whiting-Turner Contracting Company
The Whiting-Turner Contracting Company is a Baltimore, Maryland-based general contractor founedd in 1909. Engineering News-Record’s most recent data for the Whiting-Turner Contracting Company reveals annual revenues of $9.82 billion.
According to Forbes, the company employs 4,090 workers.
5. Structure Tone
Structure Tone is a group of companies that includes:
- Abbott Construction
- LF Driscoll
- Govan Brown
- Layton Construction
Structure Tone services an equally impressive range of sectors, including:
- multi-unit residential
In 2021, Structure Tone received a number of awards, including the Excellence in Construction, Institutional ($10M-$25M) award from the City of Venice Public Safety. Read more about the company’s accolades.
Skanska is a Stockholm-based general contractor with its U.S. headquarters in New Jersey. The firm was founded in 1887, making it easily among the oldest companies on this list of largest general contractors in the U.S.
Skanska works on projects in a variety of sectors, including:
Skanska’s awards in recent years have included:
- Considerable Constructors Scheme Award
- Envision Platinum Certification (for the LaGuardia Terminal B Redevelopment)
- Ground Engineering Award for Technical Excellence
- RoSPA President’s Award
7. PCL Construction
PCL Construction is a group of general contracting firms based in several regions around the world, including Canada and the United States. The sectors it serves include:
- food and beverage
- data centers
- renewable energy
PCL Construction has been in business since 1906 and prides itself on being capable of handling both large and small projects. There’s nothing small about its revenue, though – $6.3 billion annual, according to Engineering News-Record’s latest data.
8. Gilbane Building Company
Gilbane Building Company is among the largest family-owned general contracting firms in the world. Based in Providence, Rhode Island, it employs more than 2,700 people and pulled in an estimated revenue of $6.2 billion according to Engineering News-Record’s latest data.
The company was founded in 1870 and offers many services, including:
- building information modeling
- facility management
- environmental services
- disaster response
9. Clark Construction Group
Clark Construction Group is a general contracting firm headquartered in Bethesda, Maryland and founded in 1906. According to Engineering News-Record, the firm’s annual revenue hovers around the $6 billion mark.
Clark Construction Group services several sectors, including:
- mass transportation
Clark Construction Group’s recent awards include:
- AGC of California Constructor Builder Over $200 Million (for the Chase Center project)
- 2020 ENR Best of the Best Award for Best Government/Public Bulding Project (for the Long Beach Civic Center project)
- 2020 ENR Best of the Best Award for Best Sports/Entertainment Project (for the Chase Center project)
- 2021 Chicago Building Congress Merit Award for Best Commercial cOnstruction Over $50 Million (for the 110 North Wacker project)
Learn more about Clark Construction Group’s awards.
10. DPR Construction
Last but certainly not least on our list of the largest general contractors in the U.S., we have DPR Construction. The firm was founded in 1990 in Redwood City, California and pulled in annual revenues of roughly $6 billion according to Engineering News-Record’s latest data.
The company’s core sectors include:
- higher education
- mission critical
- research and development
DPR’s recent awards include:
- ranking #3 on Engineering News-Record’s list of top industrial contractors
- ranking #3 in Engineering News-Record’s list of top telecommunications contractors
- ranking #11 in Engineering News-Record’s list of top domestic building/manufacturing contractors
Learn more about DPR Construction’s recent accolades.
Bridgit Bench is the resource management tool of choice for general contractors in the United States
At Bridgit Solutions, we’re passionate about helping general contractors schedule workers and other resources more efficiently. With our flagship product Bridgit Bench, you can:
- manage workers and projects effortlessly
- easily visualize your workforce management data
- generate custom reports with ease
- maintain a single source of truth for all your relevant human resources data